Over the past few days I’ve been trying to install Oracle Apex 4 on my 11.2g database. I say trying as I’ve made a number of attempts with no success. I started with the install instructions that come with Apex 4. Generally Oracle installs and install instructions have improved greatly since the 6, 7 and 8i versions.
I had high hopes of an easy install (as indicated by the various Oracle Apex books), but no matter what version of the install instructions I found there always seemed to be a step missing.
I finally came across one set of instructions that worked for me. The following steps are what I performed to get Apex 4 working.
1. Download Apex 4 from OTN to the directory
2. Unzip the Apex 4 download file. It will create the directory
3. Login into SQL*Plus as SYS with SYSDBA
4. Run the Apex 4 install script
c:\apex_download\Apex\apexins.sql SYSAUX SYSAUX TEMP /i/
where SYSAUX is the tablespace for Apex, TEMP is the temporary tablespace and /i/ is needed for possible upward compatability
This steps can take up to 30 minutes to run
5. Load the Apex images into the database.
- Got to the c:\apex_download\Apex directory.
- Log into SQL*Plus as SYS with SYSDBA
- run @apxldimg.sql
- You will be asked to enter the directory for the images. Make sure that you enter the correct directory, otherwise it will not work. In my case it is
6. Run the Configuration script. This will set up the XDB HTTP connection details.
- enter the port number : 8080
7. Unlock the required schema
SQL> ALTER USER ANONYMOUS ACCOUNT UNLOCK;
SQL > ALTER USER XDB ACCOUNT UNLOCK;
SQL > ALTER USER APEX_040000 ACCOUNT UNLOCK;
SQL > ALTER USER FLOWS_FILES ACCOUNT UNLOCK;
SQL > ALTER USER APEX_PUBLIC_USER ACCOUNT UNLOCK;
8. Open Apex. Open your browser and enter
there is a default workspace created
Workspace = internal
Username = admin
Password = admin
6. Change the password. The fist time you login you will be prompted to change the password. The new password needs to have a number, upper and lower case characters and one special character
7. To get the the Apex Admin page